Free Linux Box is a website that tries to connect individuals who want to give away fully functional computers running open source software to individuals who need a computer, free of cost.
The website showcases computers that are in need of homes. In order to qualify for listing the computer must fit the following qualifications:
- An open source operating system must be installed such as Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, or FreeDOS.
- No funds other than reasonable shipping costs may be paid by either the donor or the recipient. Free Linux Box does not fund the shipping. This detail will be worked out directly between the donor and the recipient. If the donor does not want to ship, the donor should state in the post that the computer is for pickup only.
- The computer must be functional and complete. Computers without monitors, keyboards, mice, or power cables are acceptable if, and only if, they take standard monitors, keyboards, mice and power cables.
- It is up to the donor as to who is the lucky recipient. Free Linux Box is not part of this decision.
- The root password will be given to the recipient when the computer is received. It is up to the donor to make sure there is no personal data left on the system.
- When the computer is no longer available, it is the donors responsibility to remove the listing.
- If the computer is still homeless after 90 days the listing will be removed.